Summer camp is a great way to fill the gap that summer vacation leaves in your child’s social development. Preschool and school is a great way for your child to get out of the home environment and learn new skills. Though as we know, school is not only a place for academic learning, and often the syllabus cannot accommodate extra-mural skills that your child will need. This is why summer camp is so valuable.
Why Is Summer Camp Important?
There are many benefits of summer camp, such as:
- It is psychologically important. Summer camp builds confidence in your child that she or he may not be able to build on at home. Because summer camp is a social setting, it helps them get out of their comfort zones and aids in inter-personal skills, problem solving, communication and empathy. Your child will be around other children he or she may not have met before, or have spoken to before (similar to a workplace environment) which will teach them to get along with others and build friendships.
- It promotes healthy living. Summer camps are outdoor camps by nature, which means kids enjoy many sporty, nature-inspired activities. This is a wonderful element to introduce to your child at an early age. Activities that are included in summer camps range from field trips in nature, games by the pool, authorized swimming in lakes, as well as arts and crafts to keep kids’ hands and minds busy.
- Summer camps promote resilience in your child. This is one of the most important factors you would want your children to have growing up and especially into adulthood. At camp children will have to learn to get along with others and communicate with superiors and peers. Not only this, your child will need to make decisions, get out of their comfort zone and try new things she or he has never tried before – such as living in a cabin, trying to help cook food, or doing a different sporting activity! In this way your child will learn to navigate their way through camp in a safe environment, while having fun at the same time.
- Independence. Your child will learn the greatest gift you can give him or her, their independence. As you will not be around to cook for them, or bring them their meals, or help them in day to day tasks, summer camp is a great way to get your child away from the home environment for a short while so that he or she can safely learn to manage their own way around their day to day tasks.
What Activities Are Available At Summer Camp?
Summer is a time to get back to nature and explore the outdoors, thus summer camp will encompass almost everything to do with sports, healthy living, movement and the arts. Your child will enjoy many activities at summer camp, such as:
- Field trips. There are lots of exciting places to visit like the theater, bowling alleys, and water parks, to name a few.
- Summer camp activities also include trips to the pool and water parks.
- Sports games are always a feature favorite at summer camps as they encourage movement, team spirit and healthy living.
- There is an array of other activities for your child at summer camp that builds teamwork, confidence, and personal growth.
Summer camp is a great way to help your children grow into healthy teenagers and young adults. Enroll your children as soon as registration becomes available as spaces fill quickly – summer camp is a very popular extra-mural activity that many parents know are valuable and rewarding. If you are not sure what to do next, Parkland Children’ Academy is a great place to start. This is a great school which will give you all the information you will need to ensure your child gets the best summer, every year.